So in honor of Halloween and in keeping with the theme of Stasha's Monday Listicles, I present you with ten things I adore about Halloween.
1. I Love the Pumpkin Patch- Our road to Halloween begins at Thanksgiving when we make our annual trek to the pumpkin patch. It has become a family tradition to get our pumpkins early. There is something about the hay ride and the "You are my Sunshine" sing along out to the patch that makes me verklempt every time.
|Photo taken by Allan Attridge|
|Sarah in her Jessie costume back in August.|
3. I Love the Treats- An excuse to have mini chocolate bars and chewy Swedish Berries in our house, what's not to love?
|Jack counting his loot. How do I get my hands on some of that?|
4. I Love the Community Trick or Treating- Local merchants host a community trick or treat the Saturday before Halloween. Hundreds of families trick or treat through the little village. It is crazy busy, but a lovely social time. Sarah couldn't go this year because she was sick, but Jack loved trick or treating with his cousins.
5. I Love the Pumpkin Carving- It was the third annual Schwakida pumpkin carving event Sunday. We always have a great time with the H family. Good times and lots of laughs.
6. I Love Making the House Festive- I love it when our house looks festive. I like it even better when someone else makes it that way. Captain Canada did an excellent job of setting up the pumpkins and adding lights and other paraphernalia around our front yard.
7. I Love Dressing Up- I love the idea of dressing up, but can't always think of a really good costume that I am happy with. I get a lot of joy out of checking out other people's costumes and storing the idea away for next year.
The kids proved me wrong this year and both went as their original choice for costumes.
Captain Canada, in keeping with his love of super heroes went as Super Dad. I enjoyed the excuse to try out a new do and donned a purple wig. Seriously that is quite a salad on my head.
8. I Love Handing out Candy- Sarah likes handing out the candy as much as, if not more than the actual trick or treating. She loves to sit on our porch bundled up waiting for kids to come. She sits amongst the pumpkins with a big grin on her face, eager to drop the chocolates into the big treat bags that come our way.
9. I Love Trick or Treating Take 2- Handing out the candy is fun. I also enjoy seeing the costumes and talking to the little ones. But I also look forward to watching my own kids trick or treat. Watching their excitement and trepidation as they creep towards a house that is decorated with creepy crawly things. Their cute voices as they shout, "trick or treat" and they way they remember to say thank you at the end.
10. I Love Family Time- There are definitely some themes that run through this blog. One is how much I love spending time with my family. I probably say it too much, but we have a good time together. Tonight we went to our first fireworks show as a family. The kids thought it was pretty spectacular until some of the noisier fireworks went off. After that, they wanted to enjoy the rest of the show from the car. As I stood there beside Captain Canada holding Jack and holding Sarah in my arms, I was filled with a feeling of gratitude. It was simple, we were standing in a field watching fireworks, but it felt so right and good. I guess Sarah felt the same way, as I tucked her into bed, she was crying. I asked her why she was crying, "I am sad because Halloween is ending. I had such a good time. I never want this day to end."