We are knee deep in sibling rivalry at the Schwartz household right now. The kids are very competitive about almost everything, but especially vying for my attention. It is a fine balancing act, like walking on a tight rope trying to keep everyone happy and feeling loved and adored. I dole out snuggles and kisses and fist pumps and high fives like they are going out of style.
The Sibling Rivalry To Do List:
1. Opening the door when we leave the house.
2. Getting into the bath first.
3. Getting out of the bath first (funny no one fights to get washed first)
4. Choosing the morning t.v. show first.
5. Sitting on Mommy's lap when stories are being read
6. Getting your room chosen to have bedtime stories read in.
7. Getting the first chocolate out of the advent mitten.
8. Finding Fisbie (elf on a shelf) first.
9. Being the lucky recipient of Mommy sitting in your room first when it is time to fall asleep.
10. Getting the most snuggles from Mommy.
Now I know this is all completely normal and I am sure it happens in most families. But, being the referee gets tiring and constantly trying to remember whose turn it is and who went first last time is down right exhausting. I have been known to be the fair police. I know that life is not fair, but in my job teaching kids and with my own kids I try to keep things as fair as possible. I am learning that being fair is not necessarily equatable and the equal is not always fair. This is hard for me wrap my brain around. So it is no easy task for kids to accept either. When Sarah sees Jack getting carried, she wants to be carried too. When I try to explain why he is being carried and she isn't, she doesn't buy it at all. She only sees him being carried as taking away from attention and love that she wants. This has manifested itself into her refusing to dress herself or get into her pajamas on her own on many occasions recently. Both tasks that she is perfectly capable of doing on her own.
So I am throwing it out there and asking for tips, tricks or advice. What do you do in the face of sibling rivalry? How do you keep it fair?
Happy Friday. I am linking this post up with Let's BEE Friends hosted by the lovely Bruna over at Bees with Honey.